birding-aus

Bodily Harm to Yellow Wagtails

Subject: Bodily Harm to Yellow Wagtails
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:00:33 +1100
Hello,
I'm new to the newsgroup and I feel I ought to introduce myself better
than I did the first time with my comments about the Yellow Wagtails at
Ash Island. I'm afraid I jumped in with both feet at the slight against
birdwatchers from the Hunter Valley.

I think perhaps I need to clear up a misunderstanding with regards to my
comments about Trevor Quested's Yellow Wagtail sighting at Ash Island. I
didn't intend to suggest that I thought the birds would come to any
physical harm from having people rushing to have a look at them- I'm
quite sure that they are not in the least bothered about it!

I'm also not particularly against twitchin' and tickin' as such- just
some of the attitudes that sometimes go with it. I think that most
birdwatchers tick- whether they admit to it or not! What I was more
concerned with was Trevor's comments with regards to "good birds" being
"suppressed". For starters I don't think that anybody should be made to
feel obligated to broadcast to the world when they see a good bird,
which was what I believe Trevor was suggesting. I think that it should
be up to the individual- just as individuals birdwatch for different
reasons and get satisfaction out of different aspects. Not everybody is
a ticker and neither should they be expected to be. I think that it is
too easy to forget that it is the bird that is most important and not
the tick, ie. whether or not you have seen it. I think that it is very
interesting that so many Yellow Wagtails have appeared in the Newcastle
area and I hope that it proves to be a regular event.

Please feel free to disagree with me!

Apologies for the earlier rudeness,
Michael
--