birding-aus

observations from Snowies

Subject: observations from Snowies
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:04:03 +1100 (EST)
The first substantial rain for months in this part of the world found me in
my tent, watching the drips run down the inner canvas....

Nevertheless a fun time was had around the Thredbo, Tom Groggins area of
KNP; a few observations:

-- Black-shouldered Kite, at Dead Horse Gap, above Thredbo (I've never
though of this as a high country bird);
-- at Tom Groggin campground, 3 Needletails before the storm front, a party
of at least 50 AFTER;
-- on a cold, wet morning morning at Tom G, much raptor activity, including
a pair of Peregrines and a Little Eagle (presumably cold, wet raptors
seeking to prey on other cold, wet creatures, to make themselves a little
less cold);
-- at TG, a Red-browed Treecreeper;
-- at Thredbo, a Banded Lapwing by the roadside;
--  dozens of juv and imm Flame Robins, and a few Scarlets, feeding on the
leaf and debris-strewn road from TG to Thredbo, early morning

John Leonard