birding-aus

Birding in the Barrington Tops

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Birding in the Barrington Tops
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:36:24 +1100
Lately I've spent some time in the Barrington Tops area, and have had
some good sightings which I'd like to share.  Mostly, I've been in the
B.T. State Forest, where I've recorded:

Sooty Owl (a pair)
Red-browed Treecreeper
Satin Flycatcher
White-backed Magpie (one bird, present with a Black-backed)
Flame Robin
Scarlet Robin
Lyrebird (calling & displaying often)

 ..... plus lots of other birds that are a bit more common to these
parts.

Also, some Crescent Honeyeater were at the Devil's Hole area and a
single Blackbird at the Polblue swamp (several pairs are known to have
been present a year or two back, but I could only find the one bird)

For those not familiar - The Barrington Tops are in the ranges about 130
km to the west of Newcastle, NSW.  Peak altitude is around 1500m, there
are occasional snowfalls in winter.

Alan Stuart