birding-aus

WOLLONGONG, NSW PELAGIC TRIP REPORT 26th October 1997

Subject: WOLLONGONG, NSW PELAGIC TRIP REPORT 26th October 1997
From: palliser <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:41:41 +1100
WOLLONGONG, NSW PELAGIC TRIP REPORT  26th October 1997

Trip Summary:
An unusual day with the number of species down considerably when compared
to other January Trips. Conditions looked perfect once we were beyond the
shelf, but little out of the ordinary showed up. Highlights included some
great views of Long-tailed Jeager and a very close and very strange looking
Hutton's Shearwater with extensive pale areas around the head and very pale
colouration above.  With dusky underwings I do not think anything exciting
is in the running. Visibility due to heavy rain was a problem for much of
the day however the seas remained relatively calm for most of the trip.

Conditions:
Wet with storms in the morning and a fine afternoon
Water temperature 23.7C once beyond the shelf.
Departed at 7.15 am and returned at 5.00 pm.
Predominently North-East to Westerly winds to 15 Knots
Reached 27.5 Nautical Miles East of Wollongong.

Those on Board:
TBA

BIRD LIST
Numbers in brackets = Highest Count at any one time.

Little Penguin 1 (1)
Great-winged Petrel  50+ (c.20)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 200+ (100+)
Short-tailed Shearwater 80+ (30+)
Sooty Shearwater 10+ (3)
Flesh-footed Shearwater 25+ (10)
Hutton's Shearwater  50+ (30+)
Australasian Gannet  20 (6)
Great Skua  1  (C.skua following local taxonomy)
Arctic Jaeger 5-10 (2)
Pomarine Jaeger 15+ (9)
Long-tailed Jaeger 5 (3)
Silver Gull  100+
Kelp Gull 4 Close to the harbour
Crested Tern  20+
Australian Pelican  3 In the harbour

Peregrine Falcon (1 flying over as we boarded)

MAMMAL LIST

Common Dolphin (5-10)
Bottle-nosed Dolphin (5-10)

Trips are always on the 2nd Saturday of each month from Sydney and
the 4th Sunday of each month from Wollongong.

To make a booking or find out more contact  or
 or take a look at the web site.
http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser

Regards
Tony Palliser  (.....Sydney, Australia)
Phone.....+61 2 9900 1678 or Home +61 2 9427 7563
Fax.......+61 2 9900 1669