birding-aus

INTERESTING BIRD SIGHTINGS IN TASMANIA

Subject: INTERESTING BIRD SIGHTINGS IN TASMANIA
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:14:58 -0800
>From Andrew Snadden
These sightings were made by Ian Snadden and Lyn Sheary at Musselroe Bay
,North east Tasmania on 1st,2nd and 3rd January 1998.
ROYAL SPOONBILL
A single bird was observed flying over the bay and landed on the sand
spit at the entrance of Musselroe Bay.
The bird remained for 15 minutes in company with Pacific Gulls then flew
up the bay approx. 1 kilometre and settled on another sand spit with
Pelicans and Little Pied Comorants.The tide at the time was approaching
high and the spit was being submerged. After roosting on the spit for
about 30 minutes the bird took flight and flew directly overhead in a
south easterly direction.
The following day the bird was observed on the latter of the above spits
and after 30 minutes the incoming tide forced it to take flight,this time
in a southerly direction.
As this species is is not listed for Tasmania in "The Atlas" since Sept
1975 we felt our sighting was worth reporting.

MASKED WOODSWALLOW
A single bird was sighted in the Mt.William National Park that ajoins
Musselroe Bay on 3rd Jan,1998.
The bird was observed for 20 minutes both in flight and perched on
coastal banksia emergent from heath vegetation.
The bird flew and landed 4-5 times about 20-30 metres from us.
The day was slightly overcast however we both had good views and
consulted Simpson and Day and Slatters to verify our sighting.
Both observers are familiar with this species on mailand Australia.
No other Woodswallow species were observed on this day however we have
observed Dusky Woodswallows in this area on other occasions.
No reporets of this species in "the Atlas" for Tasmania,south of King
Island.