birding-aus

SLAUGHTER OF CAPE BARREN GEESE

Subject: SLAUGHTER OF CAPE BARREN GEESE
From: lorne <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:38:50 +0000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne again...

I spoke to Chris Arthur, head ranger on Flinders Island, the other day,
about the proposed execution of 4 500 Cape Barren Geese that's going to
occur down there soon. I expressed my alarm and he said that this
culling has been occuring for the last 20 years. Apparently the geese's
faeces gets into water for cattle, and grazing pastures are damaged by
the birds, so they have to be killed. Chris said to me that breeding
populations are not harmed, just flocks of rogue birds.

Bloody typical MAN (generic) VS. NATURE fight, where nature loses AS
USUAL. Disgusting.

The geese are killed with 12 gauge shot guns.

If you wish to, ring the Victorian NPWS and ask for Chris's no. on
Flinders. I don't have it with me now, sorry.

Yours in dismay and anger,

LGJ.