birding-aus

Gould's Petrel Status in Australia

Subject: Gould's Petrel Status in Australia
From: palliser <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:48:22 +1100
>While yet to be confirmed,  it appears to be the Caledonian race, based
>on the white inner web of the outer tail feathers.  Until yesterday, I
>was unaware that the race even existed.  How often do they turn up? I
>would be grateful for  details of other records from Australia, to put
>this event in perspective.

Michael,

The Gould's Petrel Pterodroma leucoptera is distributed widely in the
Tasman Sea to waters south of Tasmania and even into Victoria. They are
commonly sighted in deeper waters particularly off NSW & QLD and usually
beyond the continental shelf (in my experience). As the population of the
Cabbage Tree Island birds is fairly low it would seem logical and even
likely given the number of sightings from Eastern Australia that the
P.l.caledonica could be fairly common.  However because of the difficultly
with identification little is known with certainty.  HANZAB reports
P.l.leucoptera and P.l.caledonica to be numerous in the Tasman and Coral
sea in summer with many records from December to April.  Given the location
and the time of year P.l.caledonica is the most likely to occur.  However
Toowomba is indeed exceptional.

BTW I was asked only the other day "Why was Australia not conforming to
international standards for common names and in particular P.leucoptera?
That is White-winged Petrel". (The answer could be: we get both is that a
problem?)

There are no confirmed records of Collared Petrel Pterodroma brevipes in
Australia, although it must only be a matter of time.   There are already
several unconfirmed reports from Queensland that I am aware of.

For more information have a look at HANZAB Vol 1 part A

Best Regards
Tony