birding-aus

Split infinitives: to split or not split

Subject: Split infinitives: to split or not split
From: (Syd Curtis)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:17:58 +1000
Richard Thomas had a good-natured dig at David Andrew for splitting an
infinitive:

>Whilst looking through a copy of the wonderful "Australian Birding"
>magazine last night, I came across the following:
>
>"To further incense those of us..."
>
>TO FURTHER INCENSE!!!!??!! David, that wouldn't be a split infinitive would
>it! Surely not in Australian
>
>There is nothing in the world that is guaranteed to incense me as much as a
>split infinitive!
>
>I'm sorry Dave, you can't do that!!

Well of course he can ... and did.  Terry O'Connor, a Brisbane journalist
of considerable erudition and experience wrote a very useful little book
"Hold The Front Page", aimed at journalists, especially those of the
newspaper of which he was Chief sub-editor, but a useful guide for any
writer of English.  He points out that -

"There are no actual rules of language writ in stone.  Language is probably
the most democratic institution we have.  If enough people decide that, for
example, "we wasn't" is good speech and writing then it will become so and
we will have to follow."

Which doesn't mean that Richard would have to like it any more than he
likes split infinitives, on which subject O'Connor's main piece of advice
is not to split them - "unless your ear tells you otherwise". And he offers
this example:

        "I cannot bring myself to really like the bloke."
versus
        "I cannot bring myself really to like the bloke."

"The first sounds more natural,"  says O'Connor, "the meaning is clear and
the violation harmless."

He then quotes Fowler's "Modern English Usage" which says-

        "The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who
neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do not know
but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4) those who know and
approve; and (5) those who know and distinguish."

"Journalists," says O'Connor, "should aim to join category 5".  A writer in
"Australian Birding" might perhaps be regarded as a journalist in the broad
sense?

Richard is, of course, perfectly entitled to remain firmly in Fowler's
category (3) ... and may well have company there for a few years yet.

Of critical importance (as O'Connor clearly appreciated) is whether the
meaning is clear.  Writing is not necessarily good English just because the
meaning is clear, but if the meaning is not clear then it most certainly is
not good English.

Cheers.

Syd Curtis

H Syd Curtis