birding-aus

Rehabilitating a Gould's Petrel

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Rehabilitating a Gould's Petrel
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:33:00 +1000
I had a phone call last night from Clare Gover, a local wildlife carer,
to help identify a "seabird" apparently struck by a car near the
University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba (27.35S, 151.54E).

To our amazement,  it turned out to be an adult  Gould's Petrel
(Pterodroma leucoptera)  !!!   For those unfamiliar with Toowoomba, it's
located about 120 km west of Brisbane on the Great Dividing Range, about
2000 feet above sea level.

The bird's in pretty bad shape. It has a broken wing, was concussed, and
isn't feeding.  This morning, Clare tells me it's asleep (9.45 am
Queensland time).  She's sought the appropriate advice about its care,
but would welcome any other advice, as she wants to give this rare bird
its best chance of survival and has had no previous experience with
pelagic species.

If anyone is able to help, please reply on this listing or ring me on 07
4688 1318.

Have there been any other seabird casualties reported in SE Qld,
presumably as a result of the cyclones up north.

For the record, this brings the number of species confirmed for our 200
square km survey area embracing the Toowoomba/Helidon region to 284
species.

Michael Atzeni
(Editor, Toowoomba Bird Observers Inc, PO Box 4730, Toowoomba East 4350)