birding-aus

Two Peoples Bay -- request for help

Subject: Two Peoples Bay -- request for help
From: David Quady & Nancy Boas <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:28:48 +0000
G'dy again from up over . . .

Another request for help:

With luck, I may visit Perth three times this year on business:  in
mid-February/early March, in May/June, and in August/September.  Each
time, I hope to have at least a day or two for birding.  One thing I'd
like to do this time (I've birded Perth before) is travel to Two
Peoples Bay to search for Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Bristlebird, and
Western Whipbird.

I have some questions about Two Peoples Bay, and would appreciate
help:  what books/tapes, etc. would increase my chances of success,
what's the best time to go, and what are the best tactics?

I have several Australian field guides, plus Bransbury's Where to Find
Birds in Australia.  And I've discovered Frank O'Connor's 28 Oct '96
posting to Ausbird.  Are there any other books or archived notes that
would help?  Would the Thomas' Where to Find Birds in Australia help,
beyond Bransbury (there, or elsewhere in Australia)?  What tapes do
people recommend to learn the birds' sounds (for TPB, or elsewhere)?

Which of these three time periods offer the best chance of success --
especially in light of this year's weather?  (I'd hate to find the
reserve closed on account of fire or some other danger.)

Does anyone have specific tactics to recommend, beyond O'Connor's and
Bransbury's suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance for any and all advice.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California USA