birding-aus

Sepik River Birding

To: Birdline <>
Subject: Sepik River Birding
From: Paul Chatterton <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 00:30:15 -0500
Dear friends,

I know this list is for Australian birding, but I hope you will forgive my
foray into areas offshore.

I am part of a WWF team expanding a conservation program across the upper
Sepik River Basin in northern Papua New Guinea.  We have recently had a 220
000 ha conservation area declared centred on the Hunstein Range and are
working to protect further areas of wetlands and forest on the southern
side of the upper Sepik River above Ambunti.  The area in question includes
the catchments of the Karawari, Korosmeri, Salumei, April, Sio (Wogamush)
and Wario (Leonard Schultze) Rivers - all tributaries of the Sepik - and
extends to the mountains in Enga Province.

Birding information is scant for this area, largely because of how remote
it is.  At present we only have the results of a Bishop Museum expedition
(Sohmer et al 1991) which lists 134 species from one river valley.  I
wonder if anyone can help with references for any published or unpublished
material on bird sightings and ecology in this region.  Copies of the
papers would also be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,

Paul Chatterton
c/- WWF Australia, GPO Box 528, Sydney NSW 2001, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9299 6366 / +61 2 9315 7935  Fax: +61 2 9299 6656