birding-aus

[Fwd: Grey Falcon sighting]

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: [Fwd: Grey Falcon sighting]
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:36:02 +1100
--- Begin Message ---
To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: Grey Falcon sighting
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:33:58 +1100
John Leonard wrote:

> Eric,
>
> As long as you're sure about your ID then there's no problem.

I assure you it went on my list!

> Grey Falcons'
> main range is the very centre: southern NT, Simpson Desert, Channel Country,
> extreme NW NSW &c &c, but in drought years they wander widely;

>From the range in my field guide, and the year we've had, I wasn't to perturbed
about calling it.

> They do wander anywhere where solid forest isn't, so there would
> be no problem in one getting to Maldon, as cleared farm-land is, sadly,
> rather similar, structurally and ecologically, to desert (the GF's preferred
> habitat).

You certainly called the habitat correctly.

> The reason why they aren't seen more often is because they are crushingly
> rare, only a few thousands birds in all. They're very hard to find, even in
> their preferred habitat, and when they wander, they're just a handful of
> birds in a very large area, so they're hardly ever seen. I expect your
> record is making a great many birdos on birding-aus tear their hair out in
> envy.

I assure you that wasn't the reason for my post.  Rare eh? [smug mode on].Had
this
happen with an email to a guy in Wales when I mentione in passing that I'd seen
Western Capercaille (pheasantish).  This was posted in ignorance of the relative
difficulty of spotting one of these.  Like the GF I flushed it from cover while
walking.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
Remove "nospam." from address to email.

--- End Message ---