birding-aus

LAKE CONJOLA & JERVIS BAY AREA (NSW STH COAST) 2-4/1/98

To: "" <>
Subject: LAKE CONJOLA & JERVIS BAY AREA (NSW STH COAST) 2-4/1/98
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 98 08:00:00 PST
Dear Birders

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

I spent the last few days on the NSW south coast and saw 4 species listed
as endangered in NSW:

1) Hooded Plover - there were a pair of birds nesting on the dunes
between Lake Conjola and Conjola Beach. There were huundreds of people on
the beach but the nesting area was fenced off from public access.

2) Little Terns - A few of these cute terns were feeding young which were
running about. They were seen in the same fenced off area as the Hooded
Plovers.

3) Ground Parrots - 2 were seen in the heath beside the Firing Range
Facility on Wreck Bay Rd, Jervis Bay. I watched a bird within a few
metres feeding on sedges and saw another fly close by into the heath.

4) Eastern Bristlebirds -  many were seen and were easy to see.  Some
were seen flying/ running accross roads and tracks around Jervis Bay. At
the Cape St George parking area they are fairly tame and one bird jumped
write in front of me, showing off as if to say "Here I am!"

Other notable species at Jervis Bay were several Musk Lorikeets,  Brush
Bronzewing, Southern Emu-wrens and a pair of Beautiful Firetails.

Thats all for now.

Edwin