birding-aus

HARRINGTON (HUNTER REGION NSW) 26-28/12/97

To: "" <>
Subject: HARRINGTON (HUNTER REGION NSW) 26-28/12/97
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 97 08:10:00 PST
To all Birders

Spent the last few days birding at Harrington (this area is near Taree
and about 300km north of Sydney). In the Littoral Rainforest there, birds
seen included, Brush Turkey, Emerald Dove, Rose-crowned Fruit-doves,
Varied Triller, Spectacled Monarchs and Regent Bowerbirds.

Birds seen in the nearby dune vegetation, swampy woodland and estuary
included Brahminy Kite, Ospreys (atleast 4 birds seen), various waders
such as a pair of Great Knots, Little Terns (constantly feeding  young),
Southern Emuwrens, Red backed Wrens (among 2 other species of Wren), and
Forest Ravens. There  were also large swarms of Spine-tailed Swifts
flying low over the rainforest and dunes (some flying within a metre from
the ground and one almost ramming into me).

For those not aware, Harrington is probably the largest breeding colony
in NSW of our endangered Little Terns and there are probably as much as
100 breeding pairs there. There are 2 breeding colonies at the mouth of
the Manning River.

On my way back home, at a lagoon on private property just south of Nabiac
there was a Musk Duck and a Comb-crested Jacana present.

Happy New Year to You All!

Edwin