birding-aus

Re: Zebra Finch Nesting Boxes

Subject: Re: Zebra Finch Nesting Boxes
From: "David F. Mitchell" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:32:36 -0500
At 02:56 PM 12/27/97 -1850, Charles wrote:
>...Does anyone know where I might find some
>information on how to set up nesting boxes, bird houses or whatever is
>required to provide nesting sites for the Zebra Finches?

Charles,

I have never heard of a Zebra finch using human-made cavitys before. However
I do know of one instance when a Black-throated finch used a PVC pipe
mounted on a pole as a breeding site. The pipe was normally used as a letter
box to receive newspapers until a pair of Black-throats began filling it up
with grass. I do not know if the birds were successful, but I believe nest's
susceptibility to snake predation limited their chances.

I am very interested in learning what is required to provide artificial
nesting sites for wild Zebra Finches and other Australian finches. I hope
that others will relate their ideas and experiences to the list.

Cheers,

David Mitchell and Elizabeth Sellers
6025 Chapman Rd.
Lorton VA 22079