birding-aus

Snakes&Birds

To: <>
Subject: Snakes&Birds
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:42:09 +1100
My recent experience was bird/snake not human/snake.I was sitting in a
shady sandstone gully near my home in
surburban Sydney's St.ives abt.20km. from the CBD,listening to the
repertoire of a young male Superb Lyrebird
(which included household security alarms) from about 4m away.
When he finished he moved off,after a good shake  and a preen,by hoppihg
down to the next level onto a mossy flat
rock on which a Red-bellied Black Snake(Pseudechis porphyriacus) was
streched.
As i had set out to follow the bird I came to an abrupt halt
The bird paced slowly the length of the reptile ,which was abt.1.5m long
and in prime condition.
Both the animals appeared to ignore each other completely.The bird passed
abt. 20cms from tthe snakes head
and wandered on down the gully.
I climbed quietly up the side of the gully and upon hearing,seeing or
otherwise senseing my presence,the snake
disappeared beneath a rock ledge.

Reg