birding-aus

Re: Seeing Albert's Lyrebirds

Subject: Re: Seeing Albert's Lyrebirds
From: Mr Sr Pywell <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:39:31 +1000
Being a runner and a birder, I can vouch for the effectiveness of
running thru the bush as a means of seeing birds - especailly ones
which are normally shy. It certianly works for Supberb Lyrebirds in
the Dandenongs. It is amazing too how much less wary the birds seem
of runners than walkers. It seems the threat imposed by a fast
passing object is much less than that from something creeping along
towards them. From my years of watching Dusky Moorhen at Jells Park
(Melbourne) and running thru the same park on countless occasions
(usually when I was sick of watching Duskies), I can tell you I could
get much clsoer and with less disturbance to them when I was running
than walking -providing I was not running direclty at them of course.
Of course the big draw back is that your views of the birds are
rather fleeting as you dash off along the track.

Sean Pywell