birding-aus

Rainbow Wonga-keet

Subject: Rainbow Wonga-keet
From: lorne <>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:51:42 +1100
Whilst on the topic of strange lorikeets, I'll never forget my visit to
Taronga Zoo's in-flight aviary, where I saw a Rainbow Lorikeet
attempting intercourse with a Wonga Pigeon. The latter didn't seem to
mind much! This was happening whilst a rat was drowning in a rockpool. A
female Satin Bowerbird watched the rat die for a good ten minutes,
almost without the bowerbird moving. It was thinking hard about
mortality perhaps.

These incidents are true.

Lorne.