birding-aus

Backyard Birds 1 & 2, and an apology

Subject: Backyard Birds 1 & 2, and an apology
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:02:30 +1000 (EST)
NICE Backyard birds:

1. a colleague has a buff-banded rail visiting her back yard daily.  It
flies/jumps into a tree to get away from her lethargic dog, and seems to
have made friends with the cat (??????) - at least they sit next to each
other without incident.  This is all happening in suburban Newtown,
Geelong, and if we'd known about it on the weekend would have paid her a
short visit during the twitchathon :-)

2. the brush turkey in my father's backyard (West Chermside, Brisbane) is
doing better than most.  His mound is well over a meter high (the yard has
never looked this clean!) and he has been seen strutting with TWO females,
as well as digging out a little bowl in the top of his mound.  My folks
are mounting a vigil for the offspring when they emerge, some 50 days
hence.

APOLGY: OK so the Blue Rock Thrush is genuine, I've offended everyone
north of Tweed Heads, and I'm stuck here in Victoria and won't get to see
it.  I saw this wonderful species in Spain, and I've been to the Devil's
Kitchen, often, so I know how much the rockthrush will be at home in this
spot: nice rocky cliffs, pounding surf, and a nude beach around the
corner.  He might as well be on the Costa Del Sol, and probably thinks he
is ...

Enjoy the rockthrush if you go for it, and good luck. Much prettier than
the LR Plover.

Russell Woodford
Geelong