birding-aus

Re: Blue Rock Thrush

Subject: Re: Blue Rock Thrush
From: "Hicks, Roger" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:55:00 +1000
A Blue Rock Thrush of one of the migratory Asian races turned up on a
building site in Port Moresby in January 1986. As far as I am aware
there is no caged bird culture in PNG although the local species are
kept as pets. If I remember rightly some of the migratory races of Blue
Rock Thrush do winter south to Borneo and the western end of the
Indonesian archipelago (and from there it is only a short hop, step and
jump to Noosa!).

At the time we did wonder if the bird had arrived on a boat either a
ship assisted passage or as a pet that subsequently escaped but
eventually considered this unlikely - I cannot remember why now.

The Blue Rock Thrush stayed around for most of the January.

If anyone would like more info on the Port Moresby bird, I will look up
my notes.

Roger Hicks

- -
Roger Hicks                     Tel :   03-9369-6023 (home)
4 Hakea Court,                          03-9865-8613 (work)
Altona Meadows
Victoria 3028                   E-mail:
Australia
- -  - -