birding-aus

Re: Astrolomas (Cranberry and Flame Heaths) as passerine food

Subject: Re: Astrolomas (Cranberry and Flame Heaths) as passerine food
From: michael <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:13:50 +1100
Thanks for the replies.

I've so far received information about tawny-crowned, New Holland and
yellow-plumed HEs (see the October "Bird Observer") feeding on the
flowers and eastern rosellas eating the berries of Cranberry Heath.

I've also been told that the Victorian State government has refused a
grant application to protect some indigenous vegetation (including a
carpet of Cranberry Heath) in outer S-E Melbourne because it cannot be
guaranteed the land will not be sold within x (6?) years.

The land is part of the grounds of a school.  No doubt school land will
be the next target for government sell-offs. It was done in London in
the 1980s leading to an SOS - Save our Open Spaces - campaign.

Michael Norris