birding-aus

RE: Ultra-sonic call of WT Nightjar

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: Ultra-sonic call of WT Nightjar
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:55:37 +1000
Regarding the possible ultrasound from a White-throated Nightjar or
Owlet-nightjar, I've now had an opportunity to look at the sound
recorded on tape through the Anabat detector.  At the point where Ray
Leggett annotates the tape "Owlet-nightjar, question mark", the
preceding train of ultrasound pulses are those typically made by a small
vespertilionid microbat.  Even though I am not intimately familiar with
the bat calls of southeast Queensland, it's fairly clear they are of a
Broad-nosed Bat (Scotorepens sp.), and most likely the Little
Broad-nosed Bat (S. greyii).  It must have been a coincidence of the bat
flying past unseen and being recorded as the nightjar came into view.
There's no doubt that the only sound recorded is that of a typical
microbat.  I have a TIFF file of the graphical display of the call; if
anyone is interested in seeing it, drop me an e-mail & I'll attach it .

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia