birding-aus

FIRST GOUGH ISLAND ALBATROSS FOR AUSTRALIA - WOW!!

Subject: FIRST GOUGH ISLAND ALBATROSS FOR AUSTRALIA - WOW!!
From: SOSSA-Smith&Jenkin-Smith <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 01:53:52 -0700
GOUGH ISLAND ALBATROSS
A FIRST FOR AUSTRALIA

Wow, We have them all talking now!!!!  What can we say!!!, Exciting for
Australia isn?t it?
Captain Carl Loves of the SOSSA research vessel Sandra K is claiming a
first for Australia.

What Bill Oddie?s ?Little Black Bird Book ? might term, ?A cosmic
mind-f*cker?.
On September 20th 1997 Captain Carl captured a wandering Albatross
carrying a South African Band.  The number - JO 9313.  He asked me to
follow it up and find out where it came from.  In the past the New South
Wales Albatross Study Group NSWASG, had captured banded birds carrying
South African Bands.  These birds had all been tagged by South African
scientists on Marion Island (part of the Prince Edward Group), in the
South Indian Ocean.  It was suspected that this bird would be of the same
origin.

We Contacted Lisa Hardy at the ABBBS, in regard to the above mentioned
bird.

It Has since been identified as coming from another South African
Territory. Gough Island in the South Atlantic Ocean.

Subject:                South African Albatrosses
Lisa,          would you please bother Terry Oatley for the banding
details for these South Africans.
Species                 Band Number             Location  Date

Wandering Albatross     J10352          34d 26m S, 151d 23m E   20/9/97
Wandering Albatross     J09313          34d 26m S, 151d 23m E   5/10/97
Recovered by SOSSA (8022)
Terry Oatley , South Afric confirms that JO 9313 was banded as a chick on
Gough Island, 4020S 0955W, on 30/10/92.

Harry Battam reply to Terry Oatley, Lisa Hardy & Peter Prince.
J09313 is the first Gough Island bird that we have had and I suspect may
be the first recorded in this part of the world.   Would you mind
checking your recovery records on this point and letting us know.

Peter Prince, British Antarctic Survey (BAS)
Hi Harry,    Thanks for the news of the Gough Island Wanderer off
Wollongong - yes I think it is a first and I don't mind admitting that
I'm surprised, I would have put my money on Gough Island Wanderers
staying in the Atlantic.

--
SOSSA  "Wildlife Research"
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc

Lindsay E. Smith & Janice G. Jenkin-Smith
P.O. Box 142, Unanderra NSW Australia 2526

Phone +61 (02) 4271 6004
Fax   +61 (02) 4272 4626
Mobile 0418 603 007