birding-aus

Re: RFI - Bird scarers

To: Christina Freestone <>
Subject: Re: RFI - Bird scarers
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:25:41 -0816 (UTC)
On Fri, 17 Oct 97 17:28:00 VUT Christina Freestone
<> wrote:

> Somewhere some time ago I saw
an advertisement for a model hawk that is
> designed to be set up in orchards, and is supposed to be successful in
> deterring birds from nibbling trees and fruit.  This  wasn't something I
> needed at the time so didn't digest the details.  Would anyone know where
> I might obtain such a thing (either in Melbourne or elsewhere in Victoria)
> or something similar that's not too invasive? (I'm not interested in air
> rifles or netting.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Christy Freestone
> Melbourne

Dear Christy

There is a device called a Wonder Bird Scarer, made by Tisara
(Australia) Pty Ltd.  Their contact details are: 175 Swan Street,
Morpeth, NSW, 2321.  Telephone 02 4934 8330.

The device is a plastic hawk silhouette which is supposed to be
suspended over a crop or other area you want to scare birds from.  I
cannot comment on its efficacy, since I have not tested it.  However,
many bird scaring methods and devices may have an initial, novelty
effect, when birds are frightened, but most birds become accustomed to
most of these efforts when they realise that there is no real danger
associated with them.  Use of two or three different techniques at the
same time may increase the period before birds become habituated.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Ian
=======================================
Ian Temby
Wildlife Damage Control Officer
Secretary, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC   3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429