birding-aus

re WTS and boats

Subject: re WTS and boats
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 15 Oct 97 13:22:36 +1000
Michael,
Off Sydney and Wollongong we find that Wedge-tailed Shearwaters are always the
first to follow the boat when we throw scraps over the side such as suet and
pilchards. On almost all trips off Sydney and Wollongong in the summer months
we will have WTS with us all day.  However when there are large concentrations
of small fish on the surface it is a different story.  All the shearwaters
including FFS will often stay with the live fish.  In tropical waters I have
found that this happens a lot more frequently.  In fact it is difficult to
keep anything behind the boat in tropical seas such as those off SE Queensland
and Broome.  Personally I don't think there is a difference in behaviour just
a more plentiful supply of preferable natural food i.e small live fish.

Other factors such as birds migrating will come into this though.  Birds that
are migrating even short distances will often not take any notice of boats.
Short-tailed Shearwaters and Mottled Petrel etc will often shoot straight past
in numbers.

Best regards
Tony