birding-aus

Bird Clubs

To: OZ Bird Listserve <>
Subject: Bird Clubs
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:56:22 +1000 (EST)
To all:

A month or so ago I asked for the names of Bird clubs in Australia. A few
folks kindly provided some names.  Most interestingly, all but three of
the names (out of 20) referred to clubs in NSW.  Does this mean most of
the clubs are concentrated in NSW? <Grin>. I would also like to request a
few names from Victoria and from the other states as well.  TIA.

>From the names I have received, I noticed 4 reoccuring groups: Bird
Observer's Club, Birds Australia (presumably affiliated with RAOU),
Field Ornithologist Club and a few assorted study groups, etc..  Are
there any differences between the groups?  For example, are Bird Australia
groups populated by academics while Bird Observer's clubs frequented by
bird watchers?  Do they have different agendas?  Just curious.

Cheers, Jim