birding-aus

Re: Round Hill, Central western NSW

To: <>, "Nandini Kuehn" <>
Subject: Re: Round Hill, Central western NSW
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 06:04:29 +1000
> Date: Thursday, 9 October 1997 18:37
>
> I am planning a trip later this month to Round Hill Nature Reserve in
> central NSW.  Has anyone been there recently who could give me some
current
> suggestions and hints, either over e-mail or send me your telephone
number
> and I'll give you a call.  Thanks.
>
> Woody Kuehn
Dear Woody,
Below is a list of the birds a group of us saw at round Hill on 4-6th of
October.  Three of our group saw Red-lored Whistler but we didn't.  I saw
Laurie saw it in his earlier post. The entrance to the area we camped is
1.65km from the Mt. Hope - Euabalong Rd. on the western side of the Lake
Cargelligo Rd. The campsite itself is a further 1.9km from the road.  You
will be surrounded as we were by Gilbert Whistlers, Chestnut Quail Thrush,
Shy Heathwrens, Splendid Wrens and White-fronted Honeyeaters.
Go to Whooey Tank as well for some good birds.  From the intersection of
the Euabolong-Lake Cargelligo Rd, head towards Euabolong 2.1 km and the
will be a track crossroad.  The north one will take you to the quarry
waterhole where we saw Black Honeyeater and many species coming in to
drink. At night here we saw Giant Bango Frog.(Limnodynastes Interioris)
On the track south we saw Spotted Bowerbird, Major Mitchells, Mulga Parrots
and many more.
If you come from Lake Cargelligo, you must stop at Chat Alley.  Here you
will see Orange, Crimson and White-fronted.  It is a group of low bushes
near a bridge that you would call typical White-winged Fairywren habitat.
On the
NRMA map, where you turn off the Lake Cargelligo-Euabolong Rd and go north
for 3 km and west for 2 km it is in this little east-west road at the
eastern end.
In Lake Cargelligo there is a sewer farm where we saw Baillon's Crake and
heard Spotless. We did not see any Blue-billed or Freckled Ducks but you
may.
Others did a circuit drive from the camp to Chat Alley, Lake Cargelligo,
Lake Brewster up to Mt. Hope and back to camp for one day.
  Emu                                   Dromaius novaehollandiae
  Straw-necked Ibis                     Threskiornis spinicollis
  Spotted Harrier                       Circus assimilis
  Brown Goshawk                         Accipiter fasciatus
  Collared Sparrowhawk                  Accipiter cirrocephalus
  Brown Falcon                          Falco berigora
  Australian Kestrel                    Falco cenchroides
  Painted Buttonquail                   Turnix varia
  Common Bronzewing                     Phaps chalcoptera
  Crested Pigeon                        Geophaps lophotes
  Peaceful Dove                         Geopelia placida
  Bar-shouldered Dove                   Geopelia humeralis
  Mallee Ringneck                       Barnardius barnardi
  Bluebonnet                            Northiella haematogaster
  Mulga Parrot                          Psephotus varius
  Galah                                 Eolophus roseicapillus
  Pink Cockatoo                         Cacatua leadbeateri
  Cockatiel                             Nymphicus hollandicus
  Pallid Cuckoo                         Cuculus pallidus
  Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo             Chrysococcyx basalis
  Rainbow Bee-eater                     Merops ornatus
  Brown Treecreeper                     Climacteris picumnus
  Spotted Bowerbird                     Chlamydera maculata
  White-winged Fairywren                Malurus leucopterus
  Splendid Fairywren                    Malurus splendens
  Variegated Fairywren                  Malurus lamberti
  Spotted Pardalote (yellow-rumped) Pardalotus punctatus
  Striated Pardalote                    Pardalotus striatus
  Speckled Warbler                      Chthonicola sagittatus
  Shy Hylacola                          Hylacola cautus
  Inland Thornbill                      Acanthiza apicalis
  Yellow-rumped Thornbill               Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
  Chestnut-rumped Thornbill             Acanthiza uropygialis
  Yellow Thornbill                      Acanthiza nana
  Weebill                               Smicrornis brevirostris
  Western Gerygone                      Gerygone fusca
  Southern Whiteface                    Aphelocephala leucopsis
  Black Honeyeater                      Certhionyx niger
  White-eared Honeyeater                Lichenostomus leucotis
  Grey-fronted Honeyeater               Lichenostomus plumulus
  Yellow-plumed Honeyeater              Lichenostomus ornatus
  Brown-headed Honeyeater               Melithreptus brevirostris
  Little Friarbird                      Philemon citreogularis
  Noisy Friarbird                       Philemon corniculatus
  White-fronted Honeyeater              Phylidonyris albifrons
  Striped Honeyeater                    Plectorhyncha lanceolata
  Noisy Miner                           Manorina melanocephala
  Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater              Acanthagenys rufogularis
  Crimson Chat                          Epthianura tricolor
  Orange Chat                           Epthianura aurifrons
  White-fronted Chat                    Epthianura albifrons
  Jacky-winter                          Microeca fascinans
  Red-capped Robin                      Petroica goodenovii
  Hooded Robin                          Melanodryas cucullata
  Yellow Robin                          Eopsaltria australis
  Southern Scrub-Robin                  Drymodes brunneopygia
  Crested Bellbird                      Oreoica gutturalis
  Gilbert's Whistler                    Pachycephala inornata
  Rufous Whistler                       Pachycephala rufiventris
  Grey Shrike-Thrush                    Colluricincla harmonica
  Grey-crowned Babbler                  Pomatostomus temporalis
  White-browed Babbler                  Pomatostomus superciliosus
  Chestnut Quail-thrush                 Cinclosoma castanotus
  White-winged Chough                   Corcorax melanorhamphos
  Apostlebird                           Struthidea cinerea
  Willie-wagtail                        Rhipidura leucophrys
  Grey Fantail                          Rhipidura fuliginosa
  Australian Raven                      Corvus coronoides
  Little Raven                          Corvus mellori
  White-browed Woodswallow              Artamus superciliosus
  Grey Butcherbird                      Cracticus torquatus
  Pied Butcherbird                      Cracticus nigrogularis
  Australasian Magpie                   Gymnorhina tibicen
  Magpie-lark                           Grallina cyanoleuca
  Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike             Coracina novaehollandiae
  White-winged Triller                  Lalage tricolor
  Welcome Swallow                       Hirundo neoxena
  Tree Martin                           Hirundo nigricans
Owlet-nightjar heard at night
79 SPECIES
Trevor Quested & Annie Young
Sydney,  Australia