birding-aus

Photo request: Albatross ID Guide

Subject: Photo request: Albatross ID Guide
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:56:11 +1000 (EST)
I am forwarding this request to BIRDING-AUS in the hope that some
seabird-knowledgeable person can help a worthwhile project.

>Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 13:54:49 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Elizabeth Ann Mitchell <>
>Subject: Photo request: Albatross ID Guide
>
>Hello,
>
>I am producing a one-page laminated photo guide to the North Pacific
>Albatrosses which will be intended for the use on deck of the longliners
>in the North Pacific, mostly Alaskan and Hawaiian fleets.  It is also
>intended for research vessels and fisheries observers.  There
>will be photos on the front of the different stages of the short-tailed
>and black-footed albatrosses and two photos of a Laysan albatross, flying
>and sitting.
>
>I have only sitting photos of the different stages of the short-tailed
>albatross (except for the first year bird with a dark bill).  I need the
>flying shots showing the back, similar to the postures shown in Peter
>Harrison's photo ID book of Seabirds of the World.
>
>If anyone has a first year bird with the dark bill, this would be
>especially helpful.  Apparently, the first year bird fledges with a dark
>bill, turning to pink after about 2 months.  This still leaves a window
>of about 1 month where this stage bird could be encountered by longline
>fishermen (and observers) in the western Aleutians, where fishermen have
>said the albatrosses are ravenous during the month of May.  I have a book
>with this photo, but reproduction won't be as good as with a slide.  This
>book also shows the full-adult form, which I could scan, if need be.
>
>I don't have the intermediate stages showing the diagnostic white feather
>patches on the upper wings.  I will draw these, if photos cannot be found
>but I need to know this:  Do the two white patches on the upper wing
>develop simultaneously?  If they don't, does the one closer to the body
>develop first or the one further out on the wing?
>
>I can fax my draft if anyone needs further explanation of what I need.  I
>am leaving for an isolated post for the winter (Nov. 1), so I'm needing
>these as soon as possible.  I'm trying to get it out to the fleets by
>January 1, but I need to get the photos to my graphics designer before I
>leave.
>
>Thanks so much to anyone who might have guidance on this.
>
>Liz Mitchell
>P.O. Box 933
>Eugene, Oregon  97440
>U.S.A
>
>Tel:  (541) 338-7939
>e-mail:

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9882 2622. Fax: (03) 9882 2677.
o/s: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus