birding-aus

Re: Questions from a Yank

To: (Jim Hengeveld),
Subject: Re: Questions from a Yank
From: Ronald Orenstein <>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:46:10 -0400
>  1. Lg.-billed vs. Atherton Scrubwren:  As with a lot of species, this
>pair looks totally different in Simpson & Day than in Pizzey & Doyle (don't
>have the new Pizzey, YET).  According to the descriptions in both, S & D is
>the better illustration--is that right?  Are contrast between head & face
>and darkness of the undersides the best field marks.  What about eye color?
>tail color?  Do they usually sort out by habitat or foraging height?

My recollection (and this goes back to 1973) is that the two species are a
lot easier to tell apart than you might think.  The Atherton is a larger
bird with a longer(?), more robust bill and behaves differently, usually
foraging on or near the ground rather than at middle or higher levels as
does the Large-billed.

>  4. Lyrebirds:  The illustrations of Albert's & Superb Lyrebirds are much
>more different in P & D than in S & D.  Which illustrations are better?
>Any differences in vocal repertoires?

Actually, the easiest way to tell them apart is to check a map - their
ranges are quite separate.  Albert's does not sing from a bare display area
on the ground but from a tangle of vines that shake the surrounding
vegetation as he dances.

>  13. Psittacids:  My experience with New World psittacids is that they can
>be very difficult--screeching blurs that don't afford very good views.  Any
>good strategies for approaching the Aust. psittacids?  Learning shapes, for
>example?  Is the learning of vocalizations indispensable?

Australia is the one country on the planet, I think, where parrot-watching
is a relative breeze.  Remember the flocks of gulls we see in farmer's
fields here in North America?  Substitute them for cockatoos of two or
three species and you have a fairly common sight in the interior.  A number
of species can be found sitting on telephone wires (eg Red-backed), and in
some forested areas like Lamington NP (which you should not miss) the
Crimson Rosellas should be all over you.  Except for a few tricky species
like the Fig Parrot and the @$%# Ground Parrot (guess which of these I
dipped on) you should have no trouble seeing a quite reasonable selection,
and seeing them well.

and, BTW, the expression is not "Good Day".  It's "g'day!"
--
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2