birding-aus

Re: Thornbill Gymnastics

To: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Subject: Re: Thornbill Gymnastics
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 09:08:27 +1000 (EST)
Paul

  I just returned from a two week tour of southwestern Australia and I
observed a Yellow-rumped Thornbill hanging upside down on a barb-wire
fence.  I interpretive this as foraging behaviour, however their were
other birds around and on-looking humans.  It is possible that I was
standing near the bird's nest -- I also discoverd several pair build nests
elsewhere on my trip.  I am still interested in seeing the photographs as
I plan to write an article on distraction displays in birds in an upcoming
issue of the Interpretive Birding Bulletin.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail