birding-aus

Sacred Kingfishers & koels

To: <>
Subject: Sacred Kingfishers & koels
From: "Keith & Lindsay Fisher" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 05:47:02 +1000
Over the last three years Sacred Kingfisher numbers increased in Cairns in
early April for approx. two weeks, then again in early August/September.

And today, we are pleased to announce, we heard our first Koel! I know we
are behind you southerners, maybe theyv'e been here all the time and were
just resting their vocal cords. Who knows!

An interesting story on Koels. When we visited friends in KL last year,
they complained of this bird which made an awful call all night. Well it
wasn't too hard to identify, but what we found out from a local birder was
that Koels only arrived on the Malyasian Peninsular about 10 years ago
following the introduced House Crows which it favours as a host. It is now
a common resident.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
PO Box 2209, Cairns QLD 4870

E-mail: