birding-aus

RE: more Chooks

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: more Chooks
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:39:41 +1000
Michael Miller wrote:

[snip]
> farms. During the wetter months of the year the paddocks the animals
> are
> 'liberated' into become a large, wet, muddy pools with not a blade of
> grass
> to be seen. The comfort and well being of chickens housed in such
> conditions are surely questionable.
[snip]
> inside or outside. They are a man made breed (domestics of course)
> existing
> nowhere in the world in a natural population. We have no problems
> confining
> another man made species, domestic dogs, I don't see what the
> difference
> is.
>
> It seems we need a drastic culture change.

Excellent points, well made .... however, it seems impossible to have a
rational debate on this topic, because some will resort to emotional
arguments, void of fact or objectivity.  It's certainly not possible to
have a short, relevant discussion on this topic!!

I've heard enough about chooks & cats to last me quite a long while, and
most of it not quite as succinct & topical as Michael's contribution.

Let's kill this thread, and agree that after the argument, people are
undoubtedly more convinced of their own positions than they were at the
start.

Cheers

Lawrie Conole
Newsletter Editor - Australasian Bat Society
Convenor - Forest Fauna Ecology Group
2/45 Virginia Street
Newtown 3220 Victoria
AUSTRALIA