birding-aus

1st BULLER'S ALBY BANDED AUSTRALIA

Subject: 1st BULLER'S ALBY BANDED AUSTRALIA
From: SOSSA-Smith&Jenkin-Smith <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:33:05 -0800
Seabird's, bet you wish you were on the boat,

We were out on the SANDRA "K" (off Wollongong), Friday 26th September 97,
banding
Albatrosses (as this is a part of what we do).  Present were (myself, Lindsay
Smith),
Peter Milburn, Captain Carl Loves & Cliff Barry the 3rd from USA.  Much to our
delight
we actually caught our first Buller's Albatross, Diomedea bulleri. The bird is
juvenile and appears to be in it's third year. Many photographs and
measurements were
taken.

Banded: 3 Wandering Albatrosses (Gibson's Albatross)

        5 Black-browed Albatrosses all juveniles , 3 of which were Campbell
Island
          Albatrosses(D.m. impavida). These had been previosly banded by New
Zealand
          researchers.

        1 Great Skua (Catharacta skua)

Cheers
Lindsay

--
SOSSA  "Wildlife Research"
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc

Lindsay E. Smith & Janice G. Jenkin-Smith
P.O. Box 142, Unanderra NSW Australia 2526

Phone +61 (02) 4271 6004
Fax   +61 (02) 4272 4626
Mobile 0418 603 007