birding-aus

Getting high on reptile-and-bird-fed purrs.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Getting high on reptile-and-bird-fed purrs.
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:06:58 +1000
As with Niels, I do not have a cat nor children. Moreover, I think both are
extremely cute.

But, hey. We are only talking about desexing cat-lovers and letting them
keep their cats. That way there is no suffering to the moggies while we
select out the cat-loving trait.

Seriously, what worries me is how cat-supporters sound very much like
smokers. "It is not proven this and it is not proven that" while everything
goes down the plug hole.

The anti-smoking campaign is not an easy metaphor to dismiss. Its success
shows that people will come to accept the giving-up of a once widespread,
enjoyable habit to obtain other, more exigent benefits. In this case,
environmental ones.

With the cat-problem, it is a mistake to attack the cat. Watch again and
again on any bird bulletin board throughout the world, the lists are full
of cat-loving birders who will defend the poor helpless little creatures to
the end. The cat-problem is a people-problem. That is why we have to attack
the cat lovers and, as with smokers, make them socially unacceptable. Make
them defend themselves, not their cute pussies.

It is all over. I contend we cannot justify elites with moggies anymore.
The sensuousness they get from reptile-and-bird-fed purrs has to be seen
for the obscenity it is.

I rest my case: against cat supporters, and not against the cute, pussy
cats.

G.J. Ingram
Annerley, Australia.

"Cat philosophy: it doesn't hurt to ask for what you want."