birding-aus

Russell's advice on looped messages

Subject: Russell's advice on looped messages
From: (Stephen Mugford)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:27:12 +1000
Russell

I'm sending this to you but also to the site fopr others to see, because I
may not be the only person who does not know quite what you mean in one
part of your advice re the looped messages that seem to be going round and
round.

You say: "The best advice is to use a telnet session to
your mail host, and delete the offending messages. Or you can set Netscape
to ignore them."

I don't run Netscape for email, I run eudora, so the second part is not
useful for me. As for the first, I confess I'm not certain what you mean.

Do you log on to your ISP, then launch telnet? If so, what happens then and
how do you proceed? I assume that what you are saying is that the ISP Host
can't get rid of the message simply by transmitting it to me (hence keeps
endlessly sending it), so I have to 'cleanse it' as it were. But I am not
sure how I do that.

I'm not a techno whizz, but I'm not an idiot either, so I figure if I'm
having difficulty others proably are too.... (And I don't mind looking a
dork and asking).

Cheers

Stephen