birding-aus

Wood duck families

Subject: Wood duck families
From: "Pat O'Malley" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:59:13 +1000
I have been watching a 'family' of wood duck and young over the past few
days. The family seems remarkable because it consists of 26 ducklings plus
adult male and female.  This is a large family by anyone's standards, but
of the ducklings, 9 are considerably larger than the others. I would guess
the smaller birds at 7-8cm and the larger at 14-15cm. There are no
intermediate sized young. This would suggest a melded family. Does this
happen?

Pat
Pat O'Malley
School of Law and Legal Studies