birding-aus

RFI: feral bulbuls in Melbourne

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RFI: feral bulbuls in Melbourne
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:39:56 +1000
I was waiting for the train this morning at Clifton Hill station in
inner Melbourne, and heard a bulbul calling from a nearby peppercorn
tree.  The call was a generic bulbul noise; a repeated "brrpp .....brrpp
.......", and not much like what I recall hearing from the Red-whiskered
Bulbul (although it's years since I heard one of them).  I eventually
glimpsed the bird, but without bins, & in apalling light, I couldn't
discern much detail.  It looked quite dark; couldn't see a crest; but it
was unquestionably a bulbul about the same size as
Yellow-vented/Sooty-headed etc.

QUESTION(S):  The only established feral bulbuls that I can recall
hearing about in Melbourne are (were?) Red-whiskered & Red-vented.  Are
there other species kept as cage birds in Melbourne?  Has anyone seen
bulbuls in the Clifton Hill area previously, & if so what species?

Thanks in advance

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia