birding-aus

Ninety Mile Beach, Grey Grasswrens and Willie Wagtails

Subject: Ninety Mile Beach, Grey Grasswrens and Willie Wagtails
From: (Greg Anderson)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:39:42
Hi all,

Here are a couple of requests for site information and one on behaviour.

(a) A birding friend of mine (who does not have internet access) will be
holidaying at Seaspray which is on Ninety Mile Beach not far from Sale.  He
would be grateful for any information anyone can provide on this part of
Victoria.  He will have a car so he is mobile.

(b) I will be travelling in southwest Qld/northern NSW next week and would
like to know if anyone has recent information (i.e. since the rain earlier
this year) on Grey Grasswren sites.  We will be in the Bulloo overflow area
but will not have time to look for the Birdsville Track population.  I am
also interested in Yellow Chat sites in western Qld.

(c) While cycling home from work late the other night (10.30pm) I was struck
by the number of Willie Wagtails singing.  At one point, over a stretch of
perhaps 1.5 km I had 5 calling birds.  Can anyone enlighten me on this
nocturnal calling?  Is is simply a territorial issue early in the breeding
season?

Regards

Greg

Greg Anderson