birding-aus

Re: FW: Striated Pardalote at Bus Stop

To: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Subject: Re: FW: Striated Pardalote at Bus Stop
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:44:59 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Vella, Edwin wrote:

> To all Birders
>
> The Striated Pardalote was still present today in the tree at the bus
> stop and responded to a call  of its mate where they both joined together
> and called to each other in a larger gum across the road.
>
> On the subject of Striated Pardalotes, do the calls of the various race
> of Striated Pardalotes in Australia (and other birds with different races
> in Australia such as Varied Sitella) have different calls ?
>
> Edwin

Edwin:

   Not to get technical, but I assume you are asking if the different
races have different songs. I would like to know of any studies on the
song of pardalotes, especially the existence of regional dialects (not
dependent on being a separate race).  Although I can't answer your
question with a definitive reply, I can mention that pardalotes are
songbirds and many songbirds learn to sing their species-specific songs
early in their lives (within limits).  I have noticed that the songs of
different individual pardalotes seem to vary in cadence and pitch.
However, I haven't qualified the difference and I am not sure if how much
the levels of motivation, etc. can effect these parameters.  Until
informed otherwise, however, I would bet that there are regional dialects
within races not to mentioned across races. If so, this begs the question:
how sedentary are pardalotes?

Cheers, Jim