birding-aus

A Grand Ten Weeks Out

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: A Grand Ten Weeks Out
From: "Keith Martin" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:00:26 +0200
G'Day..

Firstly, congratulations to Russell on his recent hatching - I thought
it was a very relevant posting... :)

Secondly, I have finally completed an account of a ten week fling to
the Northern Territory and Queensland that we made last year. We drove
from Adelaide to Adelaide via Darwin, Katherine, Litchfield, Timber
Creek, Kakadu, Mt Isa, Townsville, Cairns, Daintree, Atherton,
Brisbane, Sydney and lots of other bizarre places. Much birding was
done, but the trip was not dedicated to this task and was primarily to
see a few bits of a country that I had grown immensely fond of, that
had been home for over four years, and that we were about to leave.

I hope it will be of interest, and maybe amusement(?), not just to
anyone who has (or is planning) to visit the north of Australia to look
for birds and beasts, but also to anyone who justs likes to read about
it. The account includes numerous partial bird lists, and each day's
"bird of the day".

The file is (I'm afraid!!) a Microsoft Word Document, which I will
forward to anyone on request rather than post to the list. This is not
a conventional trip report (!!) or a conventional diary, so I will
include the author's note, just to try to scare most of you off...

AUTHOR'S NOTE.
The following is not entirely ornithological, but has a distinct bias
in that direction. Bird (and Cute Furry) lists for sites are
incomplete, unordered and somewhat randomly selected from the full
lists. Of course I am not a twitcher (who is?) but birds in boldface
generated an amount of extra excitement... Location next to each day is
the overnight camp spot. If your home town gets insulted in what
follows - I'm sorry!

Please note the following things that this account is NOT:

*A formal trip report ( e.g. "wind light from the SE, 40% cloud cover,
drove for 3.2km until you see a burnt out car, turned left down the
creek for 217m and the owl [Tito easilispotlitus] lives in the second
hollow of the right hand fork")

*(Entirely) a tedious personal diary (e.g. "then we got up and we went
somewhere nice and we saw a nice bird and we cooked some tea and then
we went to bed..")

*An account of a ten week "Twitchathon"

*Deadly serious

*Particularly short.

But if you are still interested then read on and... enjoy.

I will forward a copy on request.
Cheers,
Keith M. Martin                          Tel  +32 16 32 18 62
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven     Fax +32 16 32 19 86
Dept. Elektrotechniek-ESAT
Kardinaal Mercierlaan 94
B-3001 Heverlee
Belgium