birding-aus

Re: HIGHEST FLIERS???

Subject: Re: HIGHEST FLIERS???
From: "Eric Dempsey" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 10:33:43 gmt
I recently had a discussion with a good friend here in Dublin who is doing
research on migration and movements for a lecture. While species like Alpine
Chough do occur at great altitudes, mirgants can fly higher. Some of his
findings revealed that Bar-headed Goose is perhaps the highest flyer of all,
with birds flying over the Himalayas each autumn. Birds have apparently even
been noted over Everest....now thats high!!!!

Whooper Swans are also noted for the heights at which they migrate. So
maybe the question needs to extended a bit to ask, which breed and which
fly the highest?

Eric Dempsey
Hello BIRDLOVERS... Lorne here...

On 2JJJ radio this morning, in Sydney, Mikey Robbins, Paul McDermott and
the Sandman were wondering what birds of the world flew the highest. I
was thinking Alpine Choughs and Lammergeiers... a guy rang the radio
station, with Guiness book in hand, and said these two were the two
highest fliers...But what else qualifies??? Wallcreepers, rooks, crows,
ravens, vultures...???

I'd be interested in reading other responses.

Out of Curiosity,

LGJ.