birding-aus

Re: Birding WA

Subject: Re: Birding WA
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:51:51 +0800
 asked about birding in WA for his trip at the
end of next week.

I have replied to birding-aus in case other people are interested.  This
information will get included into my WWW pages at
http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/ when I get the time.

You might be better going to Wungong Gorge / Bungendore rather than
Rottnest.

>What seabirds are we most likely to see on the ferry to rotto?

Not much. Australasian Gannet plus maybe Great Skua, Flesh-footed or
Wedge-tailed Shearwaters. Others are possible such as White-faced
Storm-Petrel, Southern Giant-Petrel, Yellow-nosed Albatross but it depends
on the day and the weather.

>Are there any vagrants or other good birds around at the moment?

No, but Red-necked Phalarope has been found in previous years at Rotto as
early as August.

>Do you know any birders that could prove helpful along our route?

No. I will be away. The BBO and George will help you in the north. Get the
brochures from the Birds Australia office.

>Any chance of getting access to Port Hedland Saltworks?

Possible but not guaranteed. Ring Cargill Salt a few days before during
work hours on (08) 9173 0200 and ask for Mal McKenzie (if he still works
there). Well worth visiting if you are allowed, but you will need to
allocate at least half a day to do it justice. Check the sewage ponds at
Port Hedland although you will be a bit early for anything unusual.

>Is the new Pizzey readily available in Perth?

Yes at Birds Australia office (Perry House, 71 Oceanic Drive near Perry
Lakes) where I recommend that you get the country brochures for the areas
that you are going to. Otherwise at Angus & Robertson bookshops.

FRECKLED DUCK - forget it!

Square-tailed kite - Good chance at Broome between Port and Cable Beach,
and on trip with George. Look for upswept wings.

Letter-winged kite - You need to be in the right place at the right time. A
chance.

MALLEEFOWL - A long shot at Kalbarri and Monkey Mia.

Lewin's rail - Extinct in WA!!

INLAND DOTTEREL - Try New Beach south of Carnarvon. See Carnarvon brochure.
Only a longshot.

BANDED STILT - Common at Rottnest.  Walk to the causeway on the way to West
End.  Come back by walking through the golf course to The Basin and
Bathurst Point. Usually common at Port Hedland.

Lesser Noddy - Forget it.

WESTERN CORELLA - Dongara on the way to Kalbarri.

LONG-BILLED BLACK COCKATOO - Good chance at Wungong Gorge / Bungendore
State Forest but I doubt if you will fit it in.

Short-billed (CARNABY'S) BLACK COCKATOO - Try King's Park. Fairly common
around Perth, but I don't know where at this time of year.

RED-CAPPED PARROT - Quite common at Wungong / Bungendore. Probably at
Yanchep.

Western rosella - Quite common at Wungong / Bungendore. Probably at
Yanchep.

Rock parrot - Difficult at Rotto, but try near Tennis Courts near Bathurst
Point lighthouse. A chance near Monkey Mia.

Elegant parrot - Probably not.

Bourke's parrot - Try Carbla Station south of Carnarvon. About 500 metres
north of the turnoff to the station there is a cattle grid. On the left
just past the grid there is a rough track that follows the fence for about
500m to 1km to an artesian bore.

Night parrot - Forget it!!!!!

Masked owl - Forget it!!!

Rufous Songlark - A fair chance in woodland. Much easier if you know the
call.

Brown Songlark - A good chance in grassland.

W yellow robin - Bungendore but you need to know where to look. Kalbarri if
you follow the track along the river to a small thicket of trees.

White-breasted robin - Quite common at Wungong.

crested shrike-tit - Almost no chance.

Crested bellbird - Almost certain somewhere from north of Kalbarri to Port
Hedland. Especially if you know its call.

Chestnut-breasted quail-thrush - Unlikely where you are going.

Chestnut quail-thrush - Unlikely where you are going.

Rufous-crowned emu-wren - Hamersley Ranges somewhere. Possibly in Cape
Range. Look in taller spinifex.

Blue-breasted wren - Reported to be in Kalbarri and a chance at Monkey Mia.
Check for Variegated.

Red-winged wren - Quite common at Wungong. I have seen it around the lake
at Yanchep. Look for black bill.

Striated grasswren - Hamersley Range and Cape Range. Look in stony spinifex
slopes.

Shy heathwren - A chance at Kalbarri but not always easy to find.

Rufous fieldwren - Carnarvon harbour, New Beach, Miaboolya Beach. You
should find this.

W warbler - Rottnest and many other places. Quite easy if you now the call.

W thornbill - Bungendore.

Slender-billed thornbill - I haven't seen this in WA, but a chance at
Hamelin Pool, New Beach.

Slate-backed thornbill - Probably not where you are going.

Rufous treecreeper - Was quite common at Bungendore but fire last year
makes it harder. Check Wandoo woodland. Usually located first by call.

Little wattlebird - Kings Park botanic gardens.

GREY HONEYEATER - I haven't seen this anywhere, but I have been told Tom
Price is better than most places. Almost in the town I have been told.
Likes mistletoe in acacia/mulga I have been told.

W spinebill - Quite common at Bungendore. Good chance in heath south of
Geraldton. Good chance at Kalbarri in heath.

Black honeyeater - Nomadic but good chance at Kalbarri in the heath. Easier
if you know the call.

Banded honeyeater - Should be common with George in the Kimberley.

Pied honeyeater - Nomadic but good chance at Kalbarri, New Beach,
Carnarvon, etc. Easier if you know the call.

Orange chat - Quite common at Cargill Salt. A chance at Carbla Station. A
chance at New Beach. A chance at Hamelin Pool on the way to Monkey Mia.

RED-EARED FIRETAIL - Quite common at Wungong

Good luck,
Frank