birding-aus

New Pizzey

Subject: New Pizzey
From: Gunnedah Shire Council <>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 18:13:36 +1000
I have just got my copy of the new Pizzey and Knight and am very pleased
with it.   One thing  has confused me though,
and that is that it is hard to tell which birds are different species.

I use the latest Simpson & Day as my "bible" in this regard, as it is
supposed to conform to the most recent decisions regarding species.

When I opened Pizzey & Knight however, my bird count immediately went up
after looking at their parrots!   The ring-necks appear to be two different
species and the blue cheeked rosellas are all separated.   The Little and
Brush Wattlebirds are back together again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is a pity if so much effort has
gone into such an attractive new book if it does not clearly give the
correct information regarding which birds comprise one species.

Maybe it's Simpson & Day that is now incorrect.  Can anyone put me right on
this?
Annabel Hoskins