birding-aus

Wompoo in surburban Townsville

Subject: Wompoo in surburban Townsville
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:52:38 +1000 (EST)
Troppo here: glad to be away from the -5 degrees in Canberra.  I've
just moved into a high-set maisonette / duplex in a leafy street; 2
coconut palms in the garden, a hibiscus, a poinsiana, several shrub
sized crotons, a large eucalypt of sorts and a mango tree.

I've begun a 'chardonnay' birdlist (ie those species seen in the garden
from a comfy chair on the deck) which now stands at 14 species; the
crippler being a wompoo which was being chased and harried by a pair of
blue faced honeyeaters from the (unnamed) eucalypt.

As far as I am aware wompoo pigeons are passage migrants through
Townsville; but  perhaps some of your more enlightened birders can verify
that.

Good birding