birding-aus

Birds on Golf Courses

Subject: Birds on Golf Courses
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:32:13 +1000 (EST)
Just to update you on what is happening with this new project:

Following the article in the March 97 Wingspan, there have been some delays
in producing the brochure that will be sent to golf clubs all over Australia
explaining the rationale of monitoring golf course bird populations.
However, this will be sent out within a week, and all interested birding
golfers (or golfing birdos) can encourage their clubs to become involved.

For those unfamiliar with the project, the idea is to (1) identify golf
courses which provide good habitat for birds, (2) identify the species using
each golf course, and to corelate changes in species composition with
changes in course management, and (3) educate clubs about how to achieve
sound environmental management.  We hope the project will run for six years,
after which results will be published.

We hope that this will lead to golf courses (which often contain remnant
habitat that has disappeared from the surrounding areas through residential
development or agricultural clearance) being managed more effectively as
flora and fauna reserves, as well as increasing their awareness of the need
for, and expertise in, environmental management.

If you are interested in doing regular surveys of birds on a golf course,
please give me your name, address and contact numbers.  You do not need to
be a golfer to join the project - we will try to match you with a
participating club -  but it might help if you have a particular course in
mind.  If you have specific questions, you can send me a message.

Cheers,  Hugo.

Hugo Phillipps,
Birds Australia Conservation & Liaison,
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East, VIC 3123, Australia.
Tel: +61 3 9882 2622. Fax: +61 3 9882 2677.
Email: <>
Web Homepage: http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus