birding-aus

Sydney area RFI

Subject: Sydney area RFI
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 17:25:06 -0500 (CDT)
I am about to get a second business trip to Sydney, on short notice.  I have
the Thomas guide and have ordered the Roberts guide to arrive just before I
leave (which may answer all my questions!), but I would be grateful for some
information (many of you helped me before my last visit in October, and
Trevor Quested has sent me a lot of information about Glen Davis).

What are some of the southern-most places where birds like Regent Bowerbird
and Paradise Riflebird occur?  I don't really have the time or money to get
to Lamington NP.  Barrington Tops would be one guess, based on the T&T
guide, but is it inhospitable in mid-winter?

The T&T guide doesn't seem to describe many places between the Sydney
environs (Glen Davis) and way the heck out, like Deniliquin.  (is it really
9 hours from Sydney??)  How far does one have to go to see Emu, for example?
What is the closest mallee area?

Finally, if anyone is going on a birding trip between about July 18 and 21
and has room for a fairly intrepid and not totally ignorant companion who
will pay more than his share of expenses, please let me know.  Thanks a lot,
Steve Greenfield
Minneapolis, USA