birding-aus

Re: Glen Davis

To: Cilla Rose <>
Subject: Re: Glen Davis
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 06:17:05 +1000 (EST)
Cilla:

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Cilla Rose wrote:

> I know everyone is aware by now that there are Regent Honeyeaters by the
> hatful at Glen Davis but no one seems to be highlighting just what a
> delightful day's birdwatching is to be had there just now besides seeing the
> Regents so easily.  One interesting aspect of the Regent observable just now
> is the interesting way they were calling. It was their soft, warbly call
> (best described in Pizzey) interspersed with bill-clapping and lots of
> bobbing up and down (this is also described in Pizzey, but not the
> bill-clapping).  Does anyone know the significance of this?

   I hope a few other people chime in and try to answer your questions.
Can you provide any more details?  For example, were the birds flying
together in flock?  Were they feeding?  I suspect that what you are asking
is similar to my question on Noisy Friarbirds.  If honeyeaters form new
pair bonds each year than it is likely that all the singing and displaying
that you (and I) have observed is related to courtship. I hope my comments
are helpful.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail