birding-aus

pelagics around The Snares

Subject: pelagics around The Snares
From: (Martin Renner)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:08:51 +1200
Hi Folks,

this is the list from a trip to The Snares from 2 April to 20 May. The
Snares are a terrific place!  I got there as a volunteer in the project
"Titi forever".  This project aims to provide detailed information about
sustainable traditional harvesting of Sooty Shearwater chicks (or
Muttonbirds or Maori: Titi).  The Snares serve as a control site not
effected by predators or harvest.  Most of the time was hence tied up
working on Sooty Shearwaters.  Seabirds were watched on the ferry trips
from and to Bluff and with a telescope while on the island.

Snares crested Penguin
Little Blue Penguin     (in Foveaux Strait)
Northern Giant-Petrel
Southern Giant-Petrel   (up to 12 white morph a day)
Cape Pigeon
Mottled Petrel
Great-winged Petrel
White-headed Petrel
Soft-plumaged Petrel
Broad-billed Prion
?Antarctic Prion
Fairy Prion
White-chinned Petrel
Grey Petrel
Sooty Shearwater
Short-tailed Shearwater
Fluttering Shearwater   (in Foveaux Strait)
Little Shearwater
Common Diving-Petrel
Wandering Albatross
Royal Albatross
Black-browed Albatross
Shy Albatross
Buller's Albatross
Light-mantled Sooty Albatross
Grey-backed Storm-Petrel
Black-bellied Storm-Petrel
Stewart Island Shag     (on passage near S.I)
Bounty Island Shag      (! photographed)
Spotted Shag            (on passage near S.I)
White-faced Heron
Cattle Egret            (two foraging amongst Snares-crested Penguins!)
Mallard
Grey Duck
Australian Shoveler
Subantarctic Snipe
Masked Lapwing
Brown Skua
Kelp Gull
Red-billed Gull
White-fronted Tern
Antarctic Tern
Snares Island Tomtit
Grey Fantail
Eurasian Blackbird
Song Thrush
Common Starling
Welcome Swallow
Silvereye
Snares Island Fernbird
Chaffinch
European Goldfinch
Common Redpoll

Martin Renner                       email:
Department of Zoology                 fax:  ++64-3-479 7584
University of Otago                 phone:  03-479 7665 W
P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand           03-487 6617 H

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                                                           -- Isaac Asimov