birding-aus

swamp harrier travels

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: swamp harrier travels
From: <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 16:25:21 +1000
When I visited Lord Howe Island in May 95, I saw a Swamp Harrier crusing
over the lagoon. According to a publication I borrowed at the time
(sorry, don't recall the ref) they are regular visitors to the island
from ... ? Maybe Jervis Bay as Lorne mentioned.

But migration over the sea to another site is different to the question
of peregrines (etc) hunting over the sea.

As to what advantage this confers -- I guess one thought is that prey
over water may have less opportunity to skulk away from an attack. But
how does the falcon pick up the prey? I'm not a PF expert, but I thought
they retreived the prey from the ground, post-strike. They certainly
would not do that over the sea. can they/do they retrieve form mid-air?

Stephen Mugford