birding-aus

hoooo

Subject: hoooo
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:45:54 +1000 (EST)
I must cap Glen Ingram's witticism with a story about the time I was working
on a bird-reserve in Britain. We had a man come in with a carboard box and
in it one dead Tawny Owl and one unharmed, but stunned, one. He explained
that he had been driving along at night and came over a crest on the road
and these two owls had been sitting on the road, had flown up and he had hit
both of them. Why were they sittign in the middle of the road, he asked, was
it the breeding season? No, replied one of us, it was raining last night, so
it's too wet to woo for owls.

(Sequel, we locked the stunned owl in the broom cupboard until dusk, then
took it back to the place wher eit had been hit and released it?it seemed to
be unharmed).

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA